Leg length inequality and its relationship with injuries incidence of young basketball players: an observational study.
Introduction: The leg length inequality (LLI) creates postural changes collaborating with the emergence of functional limitations and musculoskeletal disorders. In a sport like basketball inequality of the lower limbs may be added to the demands of the sport and generate an increase in the incidence of injuries. Objective: The aim of this study was to identify young basketball players from with structural or functional LLI and its influence in injury incidence in a period of 6 months. Methods: 18 players were followed with an average age of 14.50 ± 1.86 of a basketball team from the city of Sorocaba for a period of 6 months. At the beginning and end of that period were applied tests from the Morbidity Survey Report modified for basketball to obtain data such as physical characteristics, training time, incidence of injuries, quantitative and qualitative measurement of the length of the lower limbs. Results: 72.2% of players had LLI and 50% had some kind of injury during this period, among the most common, sprains and muscle strains. Conclusions: There was a high rate of players with LLI and a positive relationship between this inequality with the incidence of injury.
1. Gurney B. Leg length discrepancy. Gait & Posture [Internet]. 2002;15(2):195–206. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966636201001485
2. Betsch M, Schneppendahl J. Influence of foot positions on the spine and pelvis. Arthritis care & … [Internet]. 2011 Dec [cited 2014 Aug 29];63(12):1758–65. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22127967
3. Pereira C, Sacco I. Is structural and mild leg length discrepancy enough to cause a kinetic change in runners’ gait? Acta Ortopédica Brasileira [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2014 Oct 24];16:28–31. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1413-78522008000100005&script=sci_ arttext
4. Walsh M, Connolly P, Jenkinson a, O’Brien T. Leg length discrepancy--an experimental study of compensatory changes in three dimensions using gait analysis. Gait & posture [Internet]. 2000 Oct;12(2):156–61. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10998613
5. Raczkowski JW, Daniszewska B, Zolynski K. Functional scoliosis caused by leg length discrepancy. Archives of medical science : AMS [Internet]. 2010 Jun 30 [cited 2014 Aug 29];6(3):393–8. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3282518&tool=pmcent rez&rendertype=abstract
6. Vink P, Kamphuisen H a. Leg length inequality, pelvic tilt and lumbar back muscle activity during standing. Clinical biomechanics (Bristol, Avon) [Internet]. 1989 May;4(2):115–7. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23916004
7. Betsch M, Wild M, Große B, Rapp W, Horstmann T. The effect of simulating leg length inequality on spinal posture and pelvic position: a dynamic rasterstereographic analysis. European spine journal : official publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society [Internet]. 2012 Apr [cited 2014 Aug 28];21(4):691–7. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3326121&tool=pmcent rez&rendertype=abstract
8. Defrin R, Benyamin S Ben, Aldubi RD, Pick CG. Conservative correction of leg-length discrepancies of 10mm or less for the relief of chronic low back pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2005;86(11):2075–80.
9. Kendall J, Bird A, Azari M. Foot posture, leg length discrepancy and low back pain–Their relationship and clinical management using foot orthoses–An overview. The Foot [Internet]. Churchill Livingstone; 2014 [cited 2014 Aug 23];24(2):75–80. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0958259214000121
10. Pereira CS, Sacco IDCN. Desigualdade estrutural discreta de membros inferiores é suficiente para causar alteração cinética na marcha de corredores? Acta Ortopédica Brasileira. 2008;16(1):28–31.
11. Merker A, Rummel J, Seyfarth A. Stable walking with asymmetric legs. Bioinspiration & biomimetics [Internet]. 2011 Dec [cited 2014 Aug 29];6(4):45004. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22126858
12. Cole WG, Gill S V, Vereijken B, Adolph KE. Coping with asymmetry: how infants and adults walk with one elongated leg. Infant behavior & development [Internet]. Elsevier Inc.; 2014 Aug [cited 2014 Aug 24];37(3):305–14. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24857934
13. Golightly YM, Allen KD, Renner JB, Helmick CG, Salazar a., Jordan JM. Relationship of limb length inequality with radiographic knee and hip osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2007;15(7):824–9.
14. Burke W. Leg length inequality in humans: A new neurophysiological approach. Neuroscience Letters. 2004;361(1–3):29–31.
15. Rothenberg RJ. Rheumatic Disease Aspects of Leg Length Inequality. Seminars in Arthritis and Theumatism. 1988;17(3):196–205.
16. Rannisto S, Okuloff A, Uitti J, Paananen M, Rannisto P-H, Malmivaara A, et al. Leg-length discrepancy is associated with low back pain among those who must stand while working. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders [Internet]. ???; 2015;16(1):1–7. Available from: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/16/110
17. Swaminathan V, Cartwright-Terry M, Moorehead JD, Bowey a., Scott SJ. The effect of leg length discrepancy upon load distribution in the static phase (standing). Gait & Posture [Internet]. Elsevier B.V.; 2014;40(4):561–3. Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0966636214006407
18. Noll D. Leg Length Discrepancy and Osteoarthritic Knee Pain in the Elderly: An Observational Study. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association [Internet]. 2013;113(9):670–8. Available from: http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?doi=10.7556/jaoa.2013.033
19. Brunet ME, Cook SD, Brinker MR, Dickinson JA. A survey of running injuries in 1505 competitive and recreational runners. The Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness. ITALY; 1990 Sep;30(3):307–15.
20. Moreira P, Gentil D, de Oliveira C. Prevalência de lesões das equipes de base e adultas que representaram a Seleção Brasileira de Basquete em 2003. Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte. 2006;14:258–66.
21. Acquesta FM, Peneireiro GM, Bianco R, Amadio AC, Serrão JC. Características dinâmicas de movimentos seleccionados do basquetebol. Revista Portuguesa de Ciências do Desporto [Internet]. Faculdade de Desporto da Universidade do Porto; 2007 [cited 2016 Jan 14];7(2):174–82. Available from: http://www.scielo.mec.pt/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1645-05232007000200005&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt
22. Leppänen M, Pasanen K, Kujala UM. Overuse injuries in youth basketball and floorball. 2015;173–9.
23. Vanderlei FM, Bastos FN, Tsutsumi GYC, Vanderlei LCM, Netto Júnior J, Pastre CM. Characteristics and contributing factors related to sports injuries in young volleyball players. BMC research notes [Internet]. 2013 Jan [cited 2014 Aug 30];6:415. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=4015734&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract
24. Pastre CM, Carvalho Filho G, Monteiro HL, Netto Júnior J, Padovani CR. Lesões desportivas no atletismo: comparação entre informações obtidas em prontuários e inquéritos de morbidade referida. Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte. 2004;10:1–8.
25. Neelly K, Wallmann HW, Backus CJ. Validity of measuring leg length with a tape measure compared to a computed tomography scan. Physiotherapy theory and practice [Internet]. 2013 Aug [cited 2014 Aug 29];29(6):487–92. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23289961
26. Walker JM. The sacroiliac joint: a critical review. Physical therapy. 1992;72(12):903–16.
27. van der Wurff P, Meyne W, Hagmeijer RH. Clinical tests of the sacroiliac joint. Manual therapy. 2000;5(2):89–96.
28. Oliveira RS de, Bigolin SE. Avaliação do posicionamento dos ilíacos em sujeitos que trabalham sentados e a relação com a dor lombar. Universidade Regional do Noroeste do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul; 2011.
29. Piazza L, Luza M. Disfunção sacro-ilíaca: uma revisão de literatura. EFDeportes.com Revista Digital. 2011;16(156):5–9.
30. Liu X-C, Fabry G, Molenaers G, Lammens J, Moens P. Kinematic and Kinetic Asymmetry in Patients with Leg-Length Discrepancy. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics [Internet]. 1998;18(2). Available from: http://journals.lww.com/pedorthopaedics/Fulltext/1998/03000/Kinematic_and_Kinetic_Asymmetry_in_Patients_with.10.aspx