Effects of neuromuscular taping on muscular strength, range of motion and pain intensity in the glenohumeral joint in professional handball athletes: blinded randomized clinical trial
Lima, Cristiane Rissatto Jettar; Pires, Paulo Fernandes; Hartz, Charlini Simoni; Castro, Ester Moreira de; Pelai, Elisa Bizetti; Bigaton, Delaine Rodrigues
Background: Recent investigations in handball athletes point to the need to carry out rehabilitation programs that aim to improve the instability of the glenohumeral joint, widely used in the various tasks of this modality. Objectives: To evaluate the immediate and short‑term effects of a neurofunctional elastic bandage (NEB) on muscular strength, range of motion and pain intensity in the glenohumeral joint in handball athletes with shoulder dysfunction. Method: This study was composed of 20 professional male handball athletes who presented shoulder pain at rest and dysfunction of the shoulder, divided into two groups; experimental (n = 10) and placebo (n = 10). Before and one hour after the application of NEB the following were evaluated: maximal isometric muscular strength during movements of the glenohumeral joint (load cell), the range of motion (ROM) of the glenohumeral joint (fleximetry), pain intensity in the shoulder at rest and during movement, and the pressure pain threshold (algometry). NEB was maintained for 72 hours in all volunteers, during which a diary of shoulder pain was recorded for the short-term assessment. We used the ANOVA two-way repeated measures considering the possibility of group by time interaction, adopting a 5% level for significant differences. The treatment effect size was analyzed by means of Cohen’s d values. Results: There was no group by time interaction for any of the variables (p> 0.05), however, there was a large effect of the treatment for reducing pain in the experimental group after the application of NEB in the short-term period (d = 0.83). Conclusion: There were no significant effects on muscular strength, range of motion or pain intensity in the shoulder in handball athletes immediately after implementation of NEB.
1. Myklebust G, Hasslan L, Bahr R, Steffen K. High prevalence of shoulder pain among elite Norwegian female handball players. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2013;23(3):288-94.
2. Seil R, Rupp S, Tempelhof S, Kohn D. Sports injuries in team handball. A one-year prospective study of sixteen men’s senior teams of a superior nonprofessional level. Am J Sports Med. 1998;26(5):681-7.
3. Wilk KE, Obma P, Simpson CD, Cain EL, Dugas JR, Andrews JR. Shoulder injuries in the overhead athlete. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009;39(2):38-54.
4. Clarsen B, Bahr R, Heymans MW, Engedahl M, Midtsundstad G, Rosenlund L et al. The prevalence and impact of overuse injuries in five Norwegian sports: Application of a new surveillance method. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2015;25(3):323-30.
5. Dines JS, Frank JB, Akerman M, Yocum LA. Glenohumeral internal rotation deficits in baseball players with ulnar collateral ligament insufficiency. Am J Sports Med 2009;37:566-70.
6. Escamilla RF, Andrews JR. Shoulder muscle recruitment patterns and related biomechanics during upper extremity sports. Sports Med. 2009; 39:569-90.
7. Aarseth LM, Suprak DN, Chalmers GR, Lyon L, Dahlquist DT. Kinesio Tape and Shoulder-Joint Position Sense. J Athl Train. 2015;50(8):785-91.
8. Van Herzeele M, van Cingel R, Maenhout A, De Mey K, Cools A. Does the application of kinesiotape change scapular kinematics in healthy female handball players? Int J Sports Med. 2013;34(11):950-5.
9. Hsu YH, Chen WY, Lin HC, Wang WT, Shih YF. The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19(6):1092-9.
10. Shakeri H, Keshavarz R, Arab AM, Ebrahimi I. Clinical effectiveness of kinesiological taping on pain and pain-free shoulder range of motion in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome: a randomized, double blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2013;8(6):800-10.
11. González-Iglesias J, Fernández-de-Las-Peñas C, Cleland JA, Huijbregts P, Del Rosario Gutiérrez-Vega M. Short-term effects of cervical kinesio taping on pain and cervical range of motion in patients with acute whiplash injury: a randomized clinical trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009;39(7):515-21.
12. Garcia-Muro F, Rodríguez-Fernández AL, Herrero-de-Lucas A. Treatment of myofascial pain in the shouder with Kinesiotaping. A case report. Man Ther. 2010;15(3):292-5.
13. Kaya E, Zinnuroglu M, Tugcu I. Kinesio taping compared to physical therapy modalities for the treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome. Clin Rheumatol. 2011;30(2):201-7.
14. Taylor RL, O’Brien L, Brown T. A scoping review of the use of elastic therapeutic tape for neck or upper extremity conditions. J Hand Ther. 2014;27(3):235-45.
15. Bicici S, Karatas N, Baltaci G. Effect of athletic taping and kinesiotaping on measurements of functional performance in basketball players with chronic inversion ankle sprains. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2012;7(2):154-66.
16. Lee JH, Yoo WG. Treatment of chronic Achilles tendon pain by Kinesio taping in an amateur bARMinton player. Phys Ther Sport. 2012;13(2):115-9.
17. Ho YH, Lin CF, Chang CH, Wu HW. Effect of ankle kinesio taping on vertical jump with run-up and countermovement jump in athletes with ankle functional instability. J Phys Ther Sci. 2015; 27(7): 2087–2090. MC4540823.
18. Morris D, Jones D, Ryan H, Ryan CG. The clinical effects of Kinesio Tex taping: A systematic review. Physiother Theory Pract. 2013;29(4):259-70.
19. Williams S, Whatman C, Hume PA, et al. Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries. A meta-analysis of the evidence for its effectiveness. Sports Med. 2012;42:153–164.
20. Ferreira-Valente MA, Pais-Ribeiro JL, Jensen MP. Validity of four pain intensity rating scales. Pain. 2011;152(10):2399-404.
21. Grossi DB, Chaves TC, Gonçalves MC, Moreira VC, Canonica AC, Florencio LL, et al. Pressure pain threshold in the craniocervical muscles of women withepisodic and chronic migraine: a controlled study. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2011; 69(4):607-12.
22. Ylinen J, Nykãnen M, Kautiainen H, Hãkkinen A. Evaluation of repeatability of pressure algometry on the neck muscles for clinical use. Man Ther. 2007;12(2): 192-7.
23. Kase K, Wallis J, Kase T. Clinical Therapeutic Applications of the Kinesio Taping Method. Tokyo: Ken Ikai Co Ltd; 2003.
24. Thelen M, Dauber J, Stoneman P. The clinical efficacy of kinesio tape for shoulder pain: a randomized, double blind clinical trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008; 38:389-95.
25. Weir JP. Quantifying test-retest reliability using the intraclass correlation coefficient and the SEM. J Strength Cond Res. 2005;19(1):231-40.
26. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum; 1988.
27. Fu CT, Wong AMK, Pei YC, Wu KP, Chou SW, Lin YC. Effect of Kinesio taping on muscle strength in athletes – A pilot study. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2008;11:198-201.
28. Kim SY, Kang MH, Kim ER, Oh JS. Kinesio Taping improves shoulder internal rotation and the external/internal rotator strength ratio in patients with rotator cuff tendinitis. Isokinet Exerc Sci. 2014;22, (3):259-263.
29. Fratocchi G, Di Mattia F, Rossi R, Mangone M, Santilli V, Paoloni M. Influence of Kinesio Taping applied over biceps brachii on isokinetic elbow peak torque. A placebo controlled study in a population of young healthy subjects. J Sci Med Sport. 2013;16(3):245-9.
30. Csapo R, Alegre LM. Effects of Kinesio taping on skeletal muscle strength-A meta-analysis of current evidence. J Sci Med Sport. 2015;18(4):450-6.
31. Halseth T, McChesney JW, DeBeliso M, Vaughn R, Lien J. The effects of Kinesio taping on proprioception at the ankle. J Sports Sci Med. 2004; 3:1-7.
32. Akbaş E, Atay AO, Yüksel I. The effects of aditional kinesio taping over exercise in the treatment of patellofemoral pain syndrome. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2011; 45(5):335-341.
33. Artioli DP, Bertolini GRF. Kinesio taping: aplicação e seus resultados sobre a dor: revisão sistemática. Fisioter Pesq. 2014;21(1):94-99.